Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Love This Town

Another amazing day...we were literally outside from 9:00-5:15...with the exception of a bath after lunch and naps.  We're lovin' this weather.

This afternoon we took a walk to the old bank to empty our safety deposit box to transfer it to the newly built bank in town.  Andy took Jackson and the kids to a nearby park while I walked over to the new bank to complete the paperwork for our new box.

As I was walking by myself, I took a few breaths of fresh air and realized how lucky I am to be living in Slater.  Growing up in Ames I NEVER pictured myself living in such a small town.  I was used to the college life, numerous restaurants and shopping opportunities...I could not picture myself ever living in that small town I used to drive by on my way to Des Moines.  But here we are...

These are the things I love...
-The amazing grocery store right at your fingertips and the owner "Larry" who knows our family by name.
-"Rhonda," the post office worker is so kind, visits with us about how things are going, and always leaves the kids a little treat in our mailbox.
-The kids love our library.  It has a great selection of books, movies, and has a great preschool reading program all year and all summer.  Kathy, our favorite worker, has become a family friend.  She is so kind and helpful.  Ava and Isaiah love her to pieces.
-Casey's is right up the street (for those of you who don't live in Iowa, this is a gas station, and they make a mean taco pizza.)
-The school district is amazing...and I'm not just saying that because work there.  I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else.
-All athletic events are either one block away (baseball games) or 5 miles away in Huxley. 
-People wave at you when they drive by...just to be friendly.
-The streets are so quiet and safe!
-It seems like we know so many people in town...or else they know us.
-Walking to church every Sunday is so nice.  We have not yet driven to church.  It's not even a half of a block away.  We have a great Pastor, Sunday School program, and Vacation Bible School program.
-Trees, Trees, Trees...the newer areas of town don't have as many, but the ones on our block are beautiful in the summer and gorgeous in the fall.
-The parks!!
-Our 4th of July celebration...most people say our fireworks are the best around.  From the parade to the activities in the middle of town, it's the best.

I could go on and on and on...but a short 5 minute walk to the bank sparked these thoughts.  God has placed our family here for a reason and I'm so thankful for it.  What an amazing community to raise our children in.

The kids are fast a sleep...we're trying to get somewhat back on schedule since we do have to go back to school in 4 days.  Andy and I are watching the DIY channel (Do it Yourself)...you never know what we may learn!

My Three Happy's:
1) Being outside ALL DAY LONG with my family.
2) Our town
3) Andy's grilled chicken...as Rachel Ray would say...Yum-O

1 comment:

  1. Another thing I love about your town....you are only 23 minutes away!

    ReplyDelete