Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oh, For the Love of Cooking!

Today was another beautiful day.  I didn't have recess duty so I was pretty much trapped indoors all day.  When Andy and I left school to pick up the kids the thermometer in the car said 52 degrees.  We are lovin' this weather!

Last night Ava told us that her ear was hurting.  She woke up numerous times in pain...and that is not like her.  This afternoon we ran her to the doctor for a quick check and sure enough, she has an ear infection.  I think this is her 5th one so far...not bad for being a four year old.  Anyway they prescribed an antibiotic and she will hopefully feel better in no time.  Ava LOVES the doctor and I really mean that.  Everything about it!  Shots don't bother her either.  She just smiles away...getting a lollipop at the end helps too I'm sure. 

While we were waiting for her prescription to be filled we went to a nearby park.  Andy told me I could run into Blumsters across the street (a little specialty gift shop).  I came out with 5 new Christmas ornaments that were on clearance.  I admit that I do have a problem with Christmas decorations.  A girl can never have enough holiday decorations. 

Isaiah and Ava had fun climbing around and going down the slides!  It was truly a perfect afternoon.

Not to change the subject but I just let Jackson outside to go to the bathroom and I heard thunder and saw lightening bolts.  Yeah...another sign of spring.  I love thunderstorms!

When we got home I started dinner and Andy took the kids for a bike ride around town.  Ava rode her bike and Isaiah rode his big wheel.  Tonight was one of those extremely rare nights that I actually cooked a nice dinner.  Cooking and trying new recipes used to be one of my hobbies until I had kids.  On a typical night we usually come home and whip something up quick while we play with the kids.  Since Andy had taken the kids on a walk, I thought I'd make a nice dinner.  Here is a picture of what I made...notice the Micky Mouse plate...it came from Target.  They are really cute. 

1) Alfredo pasta with marinated salmon
2) Sweet potatoes with melted butter and brown sugar
3) rolls
4) Broccoli with cheese
5) ...and let's not leave out the Girl Scout cookies for desert

You may wonder...do your kids actually eat that stuff?  The answer is sort of.  Isaiah will eat everything on that plate...although he wasn't a huge fan of the sweet potato...but at least he tried it.  Ava on the other had is my picky eater.  I made a few pieces of chicken for her because I know she doesn't like salmon.  She won't eat broccoli either so she had pickles.  I'm hoping her taste buds will change over the years. 

Ah...the joys of cooking again.  I know someday this hobby will resurface but as for now, I will just enjoy these special meals every now and then.

My Three Happy's:
1) Cooking dinner tonight...of course that one had to be a "Happy"
2) Beautiful days!
3) It's 8:15...the kids are in bed...and Andy and I have the rest of the night to enjoy together!

As Isaiah says, "Sleep tight...don't let the bed bugs bite."

1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    I am so glad you said something about cooking. I always think everyone else is sitting down to meals like your salmon and I am here trying to pull stuff together in the very few minutes I have alone. Lilly is obsessed with chicken nuggets. If you ask what she wants to eat, she replies, "Nuggies, fries, toy". And I think, "What have I created?!?!" At least she will eat most fruits and veggies. I love your videos and even made one for my class to share our 100 day of school pictures. I didn't even know Jeff had an animoto account for church videos. I still need to figure out how to write stuff between pictures. And the video I used only lasted 30 seconds without sound. But you have really motivated me to get with the program and become more techish. I love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete