Wednesday, March 16, 2011

68 Degrees...Are You Serious?

Apparently summer is right around the corner with these temperatures.  The thermostat on our deck read 68 degrees this afternoon...amazing!  Andy fired up the grill last night and today for lunch.  He cooked this amazing chicken and pork...I take credit for the chicken marinade.  Grilling...yet another sign that summer is almost here!  We actually were able to eat lunch outside this afternoon.  Andy brought out all the deck chairs, table, and the kid's picnic table.  All the bikes, big wheels, motorcycles, cars, tractors, you name it, is out of storage and in the garage.  Our family loves being outside.  Once summer vacation hits we have been known to "live outside" (with the exception of naps and sleeping.)  Who knows...maybe this spring we can put up our camping tent and have a little "camping experience" in the backyard.  This tent is made for 4-6 people and it's something we registered for when we got married but have never really used. 

I can't even begin to describe how much I like being at home!  The past few days have been amazing.  We have been doing so many fun things that we normally don't have time to do during the week.  The kids are happy, Andy's happy, I'm happy, and Jackson...well he's happy too but pretty tired since we're home interrupting his nap time.

This morning I took the kids to preschool story time at the library...again another thing we never do since we're in school on Wednesdays.  The new library director was amazing and really knows how to connect with kids.  The theme today was Eric Carle.  She read some stories, the kids sang songs with actions, and a puppet show was presented.  After that it was snack and craft time.  They painted coffee filters with watercolors and turned them into butterflies.  It's neat to see how much Isaiah has grown up.  Last summer it was hard for him to sit still.  He liked walking around and had a very short attention span.  Today he was sitting up perfectly straight like his sister with his hands folded in his lap and was participating with everything.  He's really growing up!

When we got home the kids got on their mud boots and ventured out to the backyard to play.  Andy grilled and I helped to get lunch ready.  Once lunch was over Andy took them on a ride in the Burley...we got a really good deal on this at a garage sale last year.  The kids love riding in it when we go long distances.  Isaiah of course drifted off to sleep on Ava's shoulder.  When they got home I put Isaiah in bed for a nap and Ava continued to play for a bit.  Andy hooked a doll stroller onto the back of her bike and she was pretending that was her Burley.  She was riding back and forth on the driveway with her doll "Lindsey" on the back.  Every so often she would stop and tell us she was "getting the mail" and "getting groceries."  The smile on her face was priceless! 
.
Tonight we went to Gnomeo and Juliet with my parents...I didn't realize it was in 3D.  The last time they wore 3D glasses was in Florida on the Toy Story Mania ride.  That was the neatest thing!  They did great at the movie.  Ava and Isaiah kept their glasses on most of the time.  Andy and I had never seen a movie in 3D so we were of course fascinated by it.  It was a cute show.

After the movie we went back to my parents house for a while and the kids played while I began searching for "treasures" with my Dad.  We came out with this hutch that I use to think was "not very neat" but now that I'm starting to appreciate older things, I see the beauty in it.  Andy likes it a lot too.  We plan on using it in our large bathroom downstairs for storage, towels, etc.  We'll see if it looks right in there, otherwise it may need to be relocated.  My Dad found these old cameras that used to belong to his Dad!  I love them!  I've referenced the American Pickers show before but as they say those cameras are smokin' with style.  I already have them on a shelf in our family room by some pictures of Ava and Isaiah.  My Dad gave me an OLD and I mean OLD vintage copy of The Wizard of Oz.  I love worn looking books.  I already have a few on display but would love to add to this collection.  My favorite thing of all was a black trunk that was hiding underneath a few things in my parents unfinished storage room.  What means so much to me is the family history.  I'm sure that trunk has an amazing story to tell.  It came from Czechoslovakia and traveled on the boat that came over with my relatives.  My Great Grandmother Marie was 2 at the time.  The boat was called the "Cassel" (pronounced like castle).  My Dad showed me a picture of this boat in a book he had.  It just amazes me to think of the journey behind this trunk.  I love it...don't know exactly where I'm going to put it...but can't wait to find it a "home" in our house. 

My Three Happy's:
1) Spending time with my Mom and Dad.  The kids always look forward to playing with them.
2) Learning about the history behind these neat pieces we found.   I don't want my house to be completely filled with antiques, but I love little touches here and there of "old things."  They help give it character.
3) BEAUTIFUL weather and time spent with my family.  The kids didn't fall asleep until 9:45.  Oh well...it's spring break right...hopefully they'll sleep in like they have been the past few mornings.

Love to you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment