Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The World is a Rainbow

Cloudy skies, sprinkles, more cloudy skies, sunshine peeking through, thunder, lightening, and tornado watches...but no rainbows...that about wraps up a day in Slater, Iowa.

With gloomy weather and no chance of having fun outside, we decided to make a rainbow inside...that is a rainbow cupcake.  I left school early today to pick up the kids.  I wasn't sure what was going on with all the tornado watches, but I knew I just wanted to get the kids as quickly as I could and get home safe.  Of course everything was fine...I just like to be extra careful...that's just me.  When we walked in the door, I said "Who wants to make cupcakes?"  The answer was, "Me, me!"  Since the day was pretty dreary, we decided to make happy rainbows in our cupcakes (thanks again Family Fun magazine).  Out came the bowls, measuring cups and spoons, food coloring and muffin tins.  The kids were pretty excited about using food coloring.  They each picked two colors.  Isaiah picked red and then wanted to see what happened when blue and red were mixed together...PURPLE!  Ava wanted to make blue first and then yellow.  While she was mixing the yellow she said, "Let's see what happens when you put some red in."  They turned out great and there are only a few left.  Daddy enjoyed them too when he got home from track practice.  Here are a few pictures of our adventure in the kitchen.  Yeah...I know everything in our kitchen is outdated...but don't worry, I've already been planning the kitchen that we will eventually do when we remodel...someday!

Loving the batter...a little raw egg never hurt anyone.

Ava and Isaiah mixing the red and blue part of the cupcake.

Once you make the cupcake batter you just divide it into as many containers as you'd like colors. 

You can tell Ava sampled almost every color of batter.  Isaiah did too, but surprisingly he stayed pretty clean.

Hot out of the oven.

A picture of what it looks like when you cut it in half.

Dessert time!

Isaiah's comment after dinner was, "These are the best cupcakes ever!"
He looks pretty stylish with his frosting mustache.

Ava trying to get frosting on her nose.

If we can't see a rainbow outside...we can always create one!

My Three Happy's:
1) Cookin' with my kids...we can get messy...but it's all worth it.
2) The kids are both sound asleep...and Andy and I are cozy on the coach relaxing with our feet up.
3) 46 days until summer...who's counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment