Monday, December 12, 2011

A Crafting We Will Go

What's a holiday without crafts, right?  The other day the kids made wreaths and Christmas trees from their hand prints.  We traced and cut over 40 little hands to complete these.  They turned out cute!

Ava working on her wreath.  I cut an oval/circle out of cardboard and then she would trace, cut, and glue her hands onto the wreath.  We added a little homemade bow to complete this little wreath.  It's hanging on the doorknob in her room.  She was very proud of it!
How cute is this...and so easy!

Next is the little Christmas tree we made by tracing and layering hands.  I found random little holiday stickers that the kids could use to decorate as ornaments.

Isaiah working on his tree...he was doing lots of cutting too!

My friend Lindsey found some leftover gingerbread notebooks from Oriental Trading that she gave me.  These little things were so cute and easy to do.  They come with various "candy" and "frosting" decorations. 

Ava's cute little gingerbread girl

Isaiah showing off his gingerbread girl and boy

Tree number two...Ava cut out pictures of people from old Christmas cards and glued them on a tree.  This is hanging up on her closet for yet another decoration.

Don't you love the story The Grinch Who Stole Christmas?  We made Who-Ville houses.  This project used to be one I did in my classroom but I haven't done it for a few years.  What does it take?
a cleaned out empty milk jug with the top half cut off
colored paint
cotton balls
construction paper, markers, crayons, scissors, and glue

I was holding it for Ava as she painted.  Before we started this I sprayed each jug with hairspray and let it dry.  That way the paint sticks better and doesn't chip off. 

Just paint, paint, and paint.  We didn't have any red at home so we used green.  Any color will do.

Let them dry completely...in the meantime you can work on drawing and cutting out doors, windows, and a chimney.

How fun is this?  Ava and Isaiah drew their own doors and windows...I helped construct the chimney.  We added cotton to the top so it would look like snow and we put a stretched out piece of cotton coming out of the chimney.

A little artist

There you have it...these little houses are proudly displayed on top of our refrigerator.  I love projects you can do at home reusing something you already have.  I love how these turned out!

My Three Happy's:
1) We rarely have "perfect" days.  Well yesterday, Sunday, was one of them.  The kids played well all day, we did lots of different activities, no one napped, and both kids were sound asleep by 7:30.  Andy and I couldn't believe it!  We could finally relax, watch football, and catch up on Burn Notice.

2) Ava had her 5 year check up today and is doing great...the best part...no shots!

3) The Christmas letters are stuffed and mailed.  We have 7 families that live around the area that we will be delivering Christmas plates to along with their card.  I love Christmas goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment