Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gingerbread in the Fall

This particular post is LONG overdue as are the other ones.  I haven't been feeling the best lately and have had hardly any voice for the last week.  I've never lost my voice for this long of time and being a teacher...well let's just say that profession isn't one where you can work quietly and say nothing.  It's getting better...but my is it difficult to teach little ones when you can't read loudly and sing!

About 2 weeks ago the kids and I did some fun gingerbread activities.  I know...gingerbread is typically associated with Christmas but there are no "real" rules that say you can't do gingerbread activities year round.  This whole thing started with me wanting to make some homemade playdough with the kids.  That transpired into searching the Internet with the kids to find a fun recipe.  Did you know that you can make oatmeal and coffee playdough?  The possibilities are endless!  I found a playdough recipe for "Gingerbread Playdough."  The kids agreed that this was what they wanted to make...but somehow that got turned into, "Mom, let's make gingerbread cookies...bears and men."  Why not...so we whipped up a batch of homemade gingerbread dough and worked way.

Isaiah helping me make the gingerbread cookie dough.  It needed a little elbow grease to mix so we washed and used our hands.

I had to get this picture.  While Isaiah and I started the cookie dough Ava got out "Mall Madness."  If you haven't heard of this game...it's a girl's dream come true.  A simulated shopping experience complete with tons of stores, credit cards, money, sales, and clearances.  It's still a little to hard for Ava to understand right now but she just likes "pretending to shop" around the different stores and really loves inserting her credit card into the "bank" to get money out.  Just like her Mommy!

Isaiah rolling out the gingerbread cookie dough.  He was working so hard!

Ava taking her turn
Time to make playdough

Does this look like the gingerbread cookie dough?  Nope...it's the gingerbread playdough.  While the gingerbread cookie dough was cooling in the refrigerator we made the playdough.  It's so easy to make, looks just like cookie dough, and smells like it.  It's full of salt so it tastes yucky but all the ingredients are safe if your child might eat a little.  Before Ava and Isaiah played with it we talked about how this was not safe to eat and they never once tried it.  It smells AWESOME!
Time to play...notice the pajamas once again....the weekends call for pajamas only!

These kids had foil, cupcake liners, birthday candles, sucker sticks, you name it...they were creating and "baking".

Ava's gingerbread bear playdough cut-out

Now back to the REAL cookies.  Once the dough was cooled we cut various bears and gingerbread people.

This little guy loves to cook with me!


Yum...just a little reminder that Christmas will be here before we know it!

This guy was a little lopsided...we used the left over dough to make a giant gingerbread.  The kids thought this was funny and were excited to show Andy when he got home. 

Cooled off and time to decorate...bring on the frosting, sprinkles, and candy!


A masterpiece!

You can never have enough sprinkles!

I swear I cleaned off this table and the floor at least five times throughout this little cooking frenzy...but the smiles and the entertainment were worth it!

My Three Happy's
1) Our friends Kara and Wes just welcomed a new son into their family on Sunday.  His name is Chase Irvin Dietrich and he's a peach!  I haven't personally met him yet but have seen a picture and he's adorable...just like his two big brothers!
2) Thursday's trip to the apple orchard!  Since Andy is usually eating a team meal with the football team on Thursdays...I always take the kids to the apple orchard and to Subway for dinner.  It's something fun we can look forward to at the end of the week.  I'm so excited that my friend Marissa and her two little ones Cale and Elliana are meeting us out there tomorrow.  We're going to have so much fun!
3) My new Scentsy bars came in!  I'm loving the new Cinnamon Cider smell I have going throughout the house and Amber Road that is in the bathroom.  It reminds me of a fall scent from Bath and Body Works.

No comments:

Post a Comment