Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fire Safety and Prevention Week

Yes, fire safety and prevention is always in October and was a few weeks ago but as you know I'm trying to catch up with all the picture's I've taken.  The thing I love about living in such a small town are all the opportunities that you have that bigger cities don't.  For example the nice men that work for our local fire stations always put together a little program for the kids every year.  Kids from the preschool class through 1st grade get to ride on top of a fire truck around town (yeah...it's probably illegal because of the "no seatbelts" but so fun for the kids).  They drive super slow around Slater and blast their sirens.  The community knows that this goes on every year and you can see people out in their front lawns waving as the kids ride by.  Not only do they ride the fire trucks but they get to go to the fire station for a little presentation on fire safety, practice stop, drop, and roll, and they get to climb through one of the fire trucks.  On warmer days they even let kids use the hoses.  I was so fortunate that my class went the same time as Ava's preschool class so I snapped a few pictures of her.

Ava on top of the fire truck.

Ava's class...she's smack in the middle.

Getting ready to drive away...she's smack in the middle again wearing a pink headband.

Away they go...here come the sirens.

Ava's class in front of the fire truck.  She's to the left of the boy in the Sponge Bob shirt.

Ava listening to the presentation

They dress a fireman up to show the kids what they look like and remind them that they are here to help us and we shouldn't be afraid of them.

This picture was kind of dark..sorry.  Ava is practicing covering her face and doing the "stop, drop, and roll."

I thought this old fire truck they had was kind of neat so I took a picture of it.

Ava climbing through the fire truck.

We read a book called Spot the Fire Dog.  To extend this story we painted Dalmatian ears and made K9 headbands.

The kids dipped their fingers into black paint to make the spots.

They loved this!  All kids love getting their fingers and hands full of paint.

Ava wanted to take a picture of her K9 fire hat.

The finished product...how cute...Isaiah was the only one who wanted his picture taken.

One thing I did at school that I wanted to do at home was to make fire trucks out of food.  You frost a graham cracker with red frosting, use pretzel sticks to make a ladder, and add Oreos for the wheels.  The kids at school loved this activity and I'm sure the kids would too.  Next year, right!

My Three Happy's:
1) I wish the Ballard team would have won their first playoff game but let me tell you how nice it is to have Andy home after school.  Last night was his first Friday night home since the middle of August.  The kids love their Daddy and are thrilled to see him more!
2) Ava went with Aunt Jody to see a theatrical performance of Beauty and the Beast.  We are meeting my parents and my sister's family at Reiman Gardens for Halloween activities.  It should be a fun evening!
3) What didn't we do today!  I'm serious!  I took some pictures that I'll upload later after I take more tonight.  The morning started out with a "dance party" (we crank the music and dance away).  That was followed by carving 4 pumpkins and roasting pumpkin seeds.  Next was indoor volleyball.  We attached ribbon from one side of the room to the other and the kids were knocking  balloons back and forth to each other.  That was followed by making Halloween mini cupcakes...I swear there are 60 or more.  They frosted them with orange frosting and added Halloween sprinkles and candy corn to decorate them.  What are we going to do with 60+ little cupcakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment