Friday, February 18, 2011

Big Boy Beds and Our Little Reader

Today was a well deserved day off!  Andy and I had conferences on Wednesday and Thursday night and so Friday is a paid day off.  It was so nice to be at home with the kids...well actually we weren't really home that much...but the important thing was that we were together.

This morning we went over to Julie's house to see Miss Isabelle.  She is an absolute doll and I can't believe how much she has grown up.  The kids really love playing with her and they love her toys!  We played for a few hours, had lunch, and then left when it was time for naps.  I can't wait until summer when we can see each other more often. 

Isaiah is almost 2 1/2 years old.  This was about the time that Ava was taken out of her crib and placed into a real bed.  Today we took that brave move with Isaiah.  His room is pretty small...poor guy...but everything ended up fitting well.  Originally we bought his crib thinking we could use it for his double bed, however using the headboard and footboard just made the room look so small.  Plus it would cost 160.00 just to get two pieces of wood to complete the bed frame.  Right now Isaiah just has a regular bed frame, box spring, and regular mattress.  We're going to try to head over to Homemaker's (a huge furniture store) tomorrow to look for a espresso headboard and cute sports bedding to match his room attire.  Tonight was my night to put Isaiah to bed.  Of course I was worried that he would get out of bed millions of times and it would be such a battle.  Much to my surprise...he never came out and is fast asleep!  I'm so proud of my little guy!  I truly believe that it has much to do with how we started Isaiah's bedtime routine as a baby.  We've always read him stories, sang him a few songs, tucked him in, and then turned on his music.  We've never layed down with him or rocked him until he fell asleep.  Ava was quite the opposite and I think that's why we struggled keeping her in bed when she was 2 1/2.  It's so hard to believe that Isaiah is not in his crib anymore.  He's growing up so fast!

Our Ava Lynn really made us proud today.  This morning we were at home working on her chalkboard and she wanted me to be the teacher.  She knows all her uppercase and lowercase letters and sounds so I thought I'd try writing some sentences to see if she could read them.  The first one I wrote was, "The pig sat."  She knows the word "the" so that was easy for her.  Then she sounded out pig and sat and read the whole sentence back completely correct.  She was so happy and was eager to do more.  So we proceeded to do...The dog ran....The Dad is fun....The cat sat...The rabbit can jump.  On the last one she wanted me to make up a sentence with the word rabbit so she of course recognized that word.  I'm just amazed at how well she applies what she's learned and can already do this.  Andy and I are so proud of her!  We also talked about how the first word in a sentence starts with an uppercase letter and that sentences can end with a period.  So as I was writing these I was asking her what kind of letter to start the sentence and when I asked her what goes at the end she said "A pyramid Mom."  That made me laugh.

We hope everyone has an amazing weekend.  The weather has been a plus here and has made it so nice to go outside and play.  Love to you all!

My Three Happy's
1) Having a full day with my family
2) Seeing my sister and Isabelle!
3) Isaiah learning how to sleep in a big boy bed and staying in it on the first night...we love you Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment