Thursday, January 26, 2012

Our First Frosty

That's Iowa for you...cold one day, warmer the next, cold one day, warmer the next.  You really never know what the weather can bring.  Yesterday after school I had a meeting and Andy picked up the kids.  When I pulled into the driveway, everyone was out front constructing our "First Frosty" of 2012.  Actually it's the first Frosty that we've even made this winter.  The snow was perfect for sculpting and the kids adore creating things!


Andy had gotten the kids carrots to use for Frosty's nose.  Isaiah couldn't resist and starting crunching on one!

Here he is...or she.  This Frosty has two stick arms, a scarf, one carrot nose, fruit snacks for eyes, and pieces of "Mr. Squirrel's corn" for the buttons.  We used what we had.  A few years back I had bought a snowman kit that came with everything you'd need to make a snowman...all the pieces were made of wood.  Who knows where that went...but we can just say that this Frosty is "more original."

Ava was so proud!  After this Ava sat in the snow and made the perfect snowball.  We have this story called Snow and at the end of the story the characters, who happen to be a little brother and sister, end up saving a snowball in their freezer for next winter.

The one on the left she made yesterday and the one on the right was done a few weeks ago (ignore the orange piece of popsicle next to the snowball...apparently I need to clean the freezer).  By the end of winter, we may have tons of snowballs and no food in there.

My Three Happy's:
1) Isaiah has really been working hard on buttoning his shirts.  Tonight he was trying to button his Tomas the Train pajamas and made me giggle.  He was breathing heavy and was starting to sweat because he was concentrating so hard.  What a character!

2) Little Miss Ava is learning so much!  Tonight I brought home some of my literacy station activities that I do with my class at the beginning of the year.  I had cows that contained short /a/ words and she was decoding them and putting them in the barn that rhymed.  She also did a sort with picnic baskets and little picnic food pictures with short /u/ words on them.  It's amazing how learning can be so fun.  The other night I hid the pieces to Isaiah's alphabet puzzle all over the house.  As he picked the pieces up he had to tell me what letter was on the piece.  He had so much fun collecting them in a bucket and then putting the puzzle back together.  

3) Just like I enjoy changing decorations in my house for different holidays or seasons, I found a fun site called Dotty Dot Dot Backgrounds.  They have TONS of free backgrounds that you can use in your blog...so you may see some changes each month.  It's kind of altered some things on the sidebar that I need to figure out how to fix...but I like how I can make the blog more festive!

1 comment:

  1. Love your Frosty!!!! Glad they were finally able to make one!!! and they do look sooo proud! :)

    ReplyDelete